Sunday 25 November 2012

weekend wanderings

Only 2 more work days left at Maitland....boo hoo.
I feel like I have packed a lot in from the Gallery side. Even visited Lake Macquarie Gallery, (also lovely), great exhibition there called 'look closely now', confounding, surprising and enchanting.
found Cessnock Regional Gallery, much smaller and only one worker paid, the Director, but not by Council. I was lucky to be there for an opening, in between wine sampling in the Hunter vineyards. Tried to retrace my footsteps from a visit with Lindsay 30 years ago to see what was still there or changed - lots!! Today I checked out the town of Morpeth for breakfast, such a lovely small township with lots of old buildings. Went to Dungog to see another small gallery but it was closed, but the town was lovely too, with references on the buildings to its heritage. Good to see, and interesting little bits of information to be gleaned. I even got to sketch beside the creek at the Chichester Dam. It was 35 degrees at 6pm. And just to keep my culture up, tonight I enjoyed a rolicking melodrama called 'Only an Orphan Girl' put on by the local Theatre group - with dinner. Taking it all in, immersing myself in the local culture.... Newcastle and Sydney after this. Now that will be another story... and more galleries of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment